"No cantes la lluvia, poeta. ¡Haz llover!"

"No cantes la lluvia, poeta. ¡Haz llover!"

Thursday, September 30, 2010

Entre las Olas


Hola mis amores from my new white balcony overlooking the Mediterranean. So, as you can imagine, I love my new apartment. I was lucky enough to simply take a taxi from the Málaga bus station with my new taxi friend Mohammed (who told me I was the first person to spell his name correctly) to my new apartment. Mohammed and I had a grand conversation about his Muslim heritage and how he doesn't drink, as well his people's history in Andalucia (which I've already taken a class on). However, it was great to hear it form the horse's mouth I guess and that meant I only had to listen, which honestly sounded appealing in the traveling delirium I was still feeling on Tuesday. He also told me he doesn't like to have a lot of friends, although he gave me his phone number to call when I come into the city so he could help me around. Sorry Mohammed, I might not be hanging out with 5o year old men during my time in Spain, but it was a nice offer.

I arrived in Rincón de la Victoria, a small beach town just 10 minutes up the coast from Málaga, to the open arms of Liz Fischbach at our new place right on the sea. I can't explain to you how amazing it is. Right when I walk in the building the worn smell of an ocean resort greets me. It smells like Mexico to me actually. Crazy nights in Puerto Vallarta. Tile buildings with open-air doors and windows beckoning the ocean breeze all hours of the day. We have a perfect little balcony overlooking the sea that among many other things, is amazing to people watch from at this time of night, around 9, when all of the Spaniards are out and about at the seaside restaurants with their families. If you don't know, the Spanish clock functions differently than the American clock. Dinner is around 9 or 10 for these Mediterraneans, and it works perfectly with my schedule.

It has always been my dream to live on the ocean. I know that it is for a lot of people, but I'm just so naturally drawn to any form of water. It's amazing to wake up every morning to fresh ocean breeze (screw the Yankee Candle Co. "ocean breeze" candles) and look out our windows to the water as well as watch the amazing sunsets every night over the city of Málaga as the locals pass below us on the boardwalk with their families and lovers. I find myself smiling, a lot. I know, how horrible. It's just so nice enjoying the moment and being thankful for what I have and the opportunity that I've been given, and I really am thankful right now.

However, living on the beach has its drawbacks. Only one so far that is pretty powerful; laziness. It's hard to wake up in the morning and have things that you want to accomplish with the beach and the sea calling your name. I have found myself losing to them. I take a run in the morning down the coast to get my excercise in for the day, and then I'll jump in to cool off. I forgot how much I loved the taste of salt water on my lips. Later I find myself joining the other Spaniards I see from our windows and I lay on the beach for hours, accomplishing nothing aside from reading books and having good conversations. I can't complain. It's the Mediterranean, I swear. It has this power over you. I walk extremely slow, find myself saying we should take a break and tomar algo (literally "take something" that in Spain means to sit down and have a beer, glass of wine or coffee), and I swear I am craving olive oil like a pregnant woman craves ice cream and pickles. Then, of course, after the long hard day at the beach, I usually cook food for Liz and I (she does the dishes because we have an agreement) and we both find away to our beds for a siesta.

Basically, I'm in love with a body of water. I'll take the Mediterranean on La Costa del Sol. I just don't know how I'm ever going to live away from the sound of waves and the smell of fresh air from the sea throughout my day. I'm not going to worry about that right now though, it's not the Spanish way. Well, I'm off for tapas.

Until next time amigos,

Kenz

No comments:

Post a Comment