"No cantes la lluvia, poeta. ¡Haz llover!"

"No cantes la lluvia, poeta. ¡Haz llover!"

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Adult Orientation



Hola a todos!

I am now safely at my apartment. I know, kind of sudden to be safe at home. So much has happened in the last two days through my delirium of travel and orientation, it literally boggles my mind. Not in an overwhelming way, just in a I can't believe it way. I'll start in chronological order from when I didn't know how I was going to get to my hotel from the airport...

Our organization had a bus waiting for us and I found out several people the program were on my same flight from Chicago to Madrid. Sadur helped me on my way and I even did a little running (I hate doing the "American I'm in a hurry run") to passport control. I had to go through security again but I was lucky enough to meet fellow teachers at my gate to Sevilla.

I arrived at our hotel in Sevilla to no room because, of course, I was the only person to have been not organized in the correct orientation group. No worries, story of my life. But I ended up getting a room after some confusing Spanish conversations with the front desk, and got an awesome roommate from Philadelphia named Carolyn. I took a shower that was
one of those out of body, sensual showers that changes your outlook on life. I swear, showers are powerful things. In this instance, after traveling for a full day, a shower and brushing my teeth changed my attitude and outlook. After cleaning myself up from looking like a traveling, cracked-out gypsy, I went down to orientation to the program with a short info session followed by a "cocktail hour" with Andalucian tapas and of course, plenty of wine.

The experience of "cocktail hour" to meet the fellow teachers throughout this region was extremely different from one that would have been at a study abroad initial fiesta. All of us in my practically one day orientation were required to have lived in Spain at one point through a past study abroad experience, and because of this, the awkward phase of people not wanting to introduce themselves or holding back was non-existent. It was so refreshing. Everyone was throwing themselves out there, really exchanging ideas and making themselves vulnerable. We all knew we would only have one or two nights to meet fellow Americans to connect with before all of us were shipped off to our respective cities to find housing and teach. It's amazing, as you grow older, you meet people and you know if you click with them or not instantaneously. Anyone who was super uptight about directions to locations in the city for info sessions or not genuinely interested in what I was saying may not be the best people for me attempt to form a close friendship with. Instead, I could spend time with the people that I felt that positive, trusting connection with. Don't get me wrong, I like talking to people who have different opinions and ideas, but I would rather attempt to really get to know a few real, genuine people I have similar interests and outlooks with than an entire room full of people.

After our 1.5 day orientation I navigated the the bus station from Sevilla to Málaga with Carolyn and another new friend, Karen. The bus ride to the city center of Málaga was awesome because I was laughing so hard with Carolyn and Karen that I was crying. I was so relieved that I had already met people I got along with and meshed with so well. Living in another country makes people form friendships and get close quickly because as much as I may see myself as a Spaniard, I'm not, I'm a foreigner. Foreigners need to stick together and lean on each other to get through cultural differences and feel at home sometimes. It's just amazing sometimes how fast you form those connections.

For the sake of organization for this blog, I'll cover the new place in the next blog, but I'll give you a little taste of our view from our balcony overlooking the Mediterranean tonight. Adios mis amores : ) Hasta luego...


No comments:

Post a Comment