"No cantes la lluvia, poeta. ¡Haz llover!"

"No cantes la lluvia, poeta. ¡Haz llover!"

Friday, March 11, 2011

People have a way of blinking and missing the moment.


I'm not sure what you do when you get excited about life, but I go running. That probably explains why I have spent the last three sunsets running on the beach. If you didn't know, I spent the last week in Morocco, navigating my way through the spice filled streets of Marrakech as well as the country's mountains, desert and small African villages. I haven't felt this full of life and inspired in so long. Even after my long runs on the beach I literally have had a hard time sleeping because I am looking forward to the next day. I've went to bed the last few nights and have had trouble drifting to sleep. After I finally allow myself, I wake up an hour before my alarm in excitement for the next day.

I know. It's kind of sickening to hear. However, I have had times in my life where I have used sleep as the cure for my problems as it can bring peace for a short time when nothing seems to be going right. But this is not one of those times in my life, and I am going to take advantage of it, treasure it, and remember this feeling in hopes that I always feel this way and can recall it when I need to.

I have such a better outlook and attitude about taking advantage and making the most of my last 3 months here. I love feeling motivated.






Before Morocco, I had fallen into a slump here in Spain. My work and private lessons schedule was my life and I was in the exact definition of a rut. OK, I'm in a foreign country communicating in a foreign language everyday, obviously I wasn't in a rut. I was skiing in amazing mountain ranges, hiking with Spanish friends and going out to tapas all of the time. I guess it would be correct to say that my mentality was in a rut. Everything seemed so normal here. Aside from my life functioning in Spanish, these Spanish people and their customs of greeting with two kisses, putting umbrellas in trashcans, saying hello every time you enter a room, eating dinner at 10:30 p.m., and smothering every form of food in olive oil all seemed like normal life. Exactly how life passes. Nothing odd or out of the ordinary. Because I felt everything was so normal, I wasn't pushing myself mentally like I always try to do. I don't think the fact that I got the flu one week, recovered, and then got the worst case of strep throat I have very gotten with a horrible fever and hallucinations the next week really helped. Either way, my abroad mentality that constantly challenges cultural norms and life ideas had checked out for a while.

BUT...

I happily can say that after my Morocco trip my mentality is back and more prevalent than ever. It was so refreshing being without internet, phones, television or technology for a whole week. I need to go without it more often. I always forget how much more I like life that way. I was able to quiet all of the crazy things in the world out of my mind and really enjoy the moment for what it is.

If you know me you know I'm a moment person. I believe in the power of the moment and feeling it for all that it genuinely is. Some moments you share with others and some you always just have for yourself. Either way, I think it's easy to forget the power of moments and get caught up in the past and future.

My trip with Liz to Morocco was just what I needed. I needed to be reminded of the power of the moment. Without technology, all that we did all week was really enjoy moments and real conversations with each other and strangers. On our trip we were lucky to meet so many other travelers from all different parts of the world. Without technology and distractions, all that you want to do is sit down and really connect, maybe learn something new from someone from a totally different culture. They are new friends now, not strangers. Even though I might not see them again, it's almost scary how we will always have the memories of our amazing trips with each other.

Sitting in the Sahara Desert watching the sunset over the dunes away from all forms of technology and distractions made me slow down with worrying about things in the future or past. As I looked up at the purest, most breathtaking view of the stars at our camp in the desert that night away from any form of light pollution I wasn't thinking about my job search when I get home or one of the many small worries I have. All that you are left with is yourself and the opportunity to enjoy the moment for what it is. I can't say that I had exactly forgotten about taking advantage of moments, I just needed to be reminded of their power.


One of my biggest pet peeves in the United States is when I sit down with someone out to eat at a restaurant or with a group of friends and I see someone reach to put their cell phone on the table. I can't say that I have never done it, although it has always bothered me. But if I said that I never had, that would be a lie. However, I am going to try to not do it again. The opportunity to sit down and enjoy a meal and real conversation, to really connect and enjoy time with loved ones, is precious. It was just extremely nice to be reminded of the value of communicating and connecting. You learn so much more from people when neither of you are distracted.

So, I guess that's my two cents after my trip. I have a free afternoon tomorrow, so I'll attempt to write something more fun to read about Morocco on what we actually did. Better than MacKenzie's thoughts on life. Promise promise.

Besos,

Kenz

No comments:

Post a Comment